Schenectady / Capital Region Today
No Cable? Watch us on our YouTube Channel anytime – “Schenectady Today Show Official” — we post all our shows there.
Now in our 22nd Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
December 17, 2019 – Show #1115
Mike Performing on our Stage
Mike Purcell, Entertainer
Capital Community Voices – Lighting the Season with Song
Julie Panke, Director & Phyllis Pulver, Composer
“Lighting the Season with Song” will offer the premiere performance of “The Light of Christmas” by local composer and songwriter Phyllis Pulver of Rexford, NY.
Classical selections include music by Mendelssohn, Mozart, and Rutter. The chorus will also present popular songs including “The Christmas Song,” “Here Comes Santa Claus,” and “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.”
The chorus is directed by Julie Panke and will be accompanied by Joanna Towse, piano, Randy Jennings, bass, James Iacketta, percussion.
Phyllis Pulver (composer, singer, and motivational song leader) has been delving into music since retiring in 2014. Her genre is Positive (Posi) Music, which delivers messages of peace, oneness and joyous living. Her mission is: to connect people at the heart level, unlocking their humanity with music. Her first choral piece, “A Call to Awaken”, was performed earlier this year by the Festival Celebration Choir under the direction of Julie Panke. Capital Community Voices is now premiering Phyllis’s second choral piece, “The Light of Christmas”. This song appears as a solo on Phyllis’s debut album of original Posi songs, titled PHYLLIS PULVER – POSITIVELY ME! True to her mission as song leader and choral community-builder, Phyllis hosts a monthly non-performing musical gathering, Friends In Harmony, at her Rexford home. Now in its 20th year, this gathering is open to all who yearn for uplifting music, harmony, and the company of others who share these interests.
Our Director, Julie Panke, has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, where she trained at the Lawrence Conservatory of Music, and a Master of Arts degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo. She was Director of Music at the First Reformed Church of Schenectady for seventeen years and previously served churches in Albany, Burnt Hills, and Glenville.
- Organization: Capital Community Voices
- Mission: Mixed adult chorus presenting two concerts per year
- Event: Lighting the Season with Song
- Location of event: Genet Elementary School, East Greenbush, NY
- Date/Time: Sat. Dec. 21 St 7:30 pm
- Cost: $10 general admission; $8 for seniors and students
- Contact Information: 518-370-5434
- Website: www.ccvsings.blogspot.com
Gracias Choir — Christmas Cantata
Philemon Yoo, Program Coordinator
The Gracias Christmas Cantata is a stunning musical event that touches countless lives in over 40 countries each year. The Cantata Tour has quickly grown from 9 cities in 2011 to 29 cities in 2019. Last year, over 130,000 people in North American attend this event. The performance is free of charge for the community.
With the Cantata, the Gracias Choir wishes to inspire and to plant hope in the hearts of people who are down on their luck and who are facing challenges in their lives through the magic of music and theatre. They believe that music unites people across socioeconomic status and backgrounds and through free events such as these, we hope to bring the community a little bit closer together. Also, I am pleased to say that through the Cantata, many underprivileged families will have the chance to come and be inspired by the performing arts.
- Organization: International Youth Fellowship USA
- Mission: With the motto “Music is Change”, the Gracias Choir and Orchestra uses the performing arts to soothe souls, change minds, and help people navigate their life onto a constructive path.
- Event: Gracias Christmas Cantata
- Location of event: Palace Theatre in Albany
- Date/Time: Sunday, January 5th at 7 pm
- Cost: Free Admission
- Contact Information:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/graciaschoir/
- Instagram: @gracias_choir
- Website: www.Graciaschoir.com and www.Christmascantata.us
Community Loan Fund of Capital Region
Linda MacFarland, Executive Director
In September we launched a new online training program for entrepreneurs. We are also planning to expand our successful business incubator to provide more affordable office space for entrepreneurs to get started in. The new incubator will have street-facing retail space, additional training space, a drop-in daycare facility and affordable housing units. We’d love to talk about these topics on the show.
- Organization: Community Loan Fund of the Capital Region
- Mission: The Community Loan Fund of the Capital Region’s mission is to promote sustainable community development efforts for economically underserved people and communities.
To do that, we pool investments and donations from socially concerned individuals and organizations and re-lend it to businesses owned by minorities, women, and people of low-income as well as non-profits. We also offer training, mentoring, and affordable office space to help entrepreneurs get started. The Loan Fund was incorporated in 1985, and to date, has made $61 million in loans, financing 925 community projects and 325 minority, woman and/or low-income owned businesses.
- Contact Information: (518) 436-8586 or email@example.com
- Facebook: Yes – Community Loan Fund of the Capital Region
- Twitter: @communityloans
- Instagram: @communityloans
- Website: www.mycommunityloanfund.org
Schenectady Theatre for Children
Guest to be announced
Information has not been provided by organization as of this publication
Janice Walz, Member
Janice will be speaking about the work of the committee and new items given to us. The need for new docents.
- Organization: Proctors Historical Committee
- Mission: To promote the history and present of Proctors Theatre
- Website: www.Proctors.org
December 24 & 31, 2019 Show #1116
Our special look back at 2019 with bits from some of our interviews
The Beekman Boys, Joy Bennett, Adam Bornt (Exotic animals), Tanya Deptola, Malcolm Kogut, Bill Munro, Byron Nilsson, Peter Plourde, John Roberts, Timur Yusupov (Artist from Russia) Madison Vandenburg and more.
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @Schenectady-Capital Region Today Show
- Facebook 1000th Show @SchdyToday1000
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
- Show is available on demand on YouTube and on www.openstqgemedia.org as well as on Fios
“Schenectady Today –Capital Region Today” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 22nd year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
Wednesdays at 7 pm on most of the outer Capital Region areas (more often in Albany and Sch’dy stations): Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.