In & Around the Capital Region
Now in our 21st Year!
Guest Line Up for the next four weeks of filming. (May be subject to change)
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
November 27, 2018 #1061
Filming at the Addy in Proctors
Scheduled Topics on the Show with Guests
(Listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Information below has been provided by the Guests or from their websites
~~~ Segment ONE~~~
Waterford Museum Events
Anastasia Garceau, Director
Michael Dack, Special Events Committee Member
Dave Cerrone, The Refrigerators – Popular Area Band
The Waterford Historical Museum’s second-annual concert featuring the Refrigerators is returning to the historic Cohoes Music Hall! There will be dancing, singing, and even a visit by a special someone during the concert. Concession stands and light foods will be available. Proceeds support the many ongoing programs and operations of the Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center. Tickets $25 per person. Doors open at 6pm
- Organization: Waterford Museum and Cultural Center
- Mission: As a pivotal gateway for New York’s immigration and commerce, Waterford and its neighboring communities reflect an interrelated history of innovation, industry and ingenuity. Using traditional and new technologies, WHMCC stirs the imagination, interest and involvement of residents and visitors alike in this unfolding local story of history and culture.
- Event: Dashin’ & Dancin’ Concert
- Location of event: Cohoes Music Hall
- Date/Time: Saturday, December 1st — from 7 to 10 pm
- Cost: $25 pp
- Contact Information: (518) 238-0809 or email@example.com
- Facebook: @waterfordhmcc
- Instagram: @waterford_museum
- Website: www.waterfordmuseum.com
~~~ Segment TWO ~~~
St. Clare’s Retirees Speak Out!
Peter Jones, Retiree
Sonya Sidhu-Izzo, MD
Did you know that 443 employees over 65 will get a reduced pension amount and 661 employees under 65 will get nothing. Many of these people worked 25, 30, 35+ years, their whole career at St. Clare’s Hospital. They deserve their pension
We all felt we were set. The state contributed 28.5 million in 2008. We thought that amount would guarantee our pension. In 2016 we found out we were wrong as we all received a letter stating that the pension would run out between 2024 and 2028. The past October we learned that the pension would be terminated on November 1, 2018.
- Organization: St. Clare’s Hospital Pensioners
- Mission: To bring attention to the struggle to receive our pension as it was intended. 443 employees over 65 will get a reduced amount. .
- Facebook: Yes – St. Clare’s Hospital Pension Peeps
- Website: www.pension.RememberStClares.org
~~~ Segment THREE ~~~
Get Ready! Review your Documents!
Richard Zazycki, Chair CA$H Coalition Rensselaer County Chapter
Joanne Passineau, Co-Chair Rensselaer County Chapter
On December 22, 2017 Congress enacted the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) which made some sweeping changes in the tax law for 2018.
Most working taxpayers have already seen changes to their paycheck, with many seeing a boost in take home pay, since IRS updated the income tax withholding tables.
With this update, it is critical that every employee do a “paycheck checkup” and review their Form W-4; Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate.
Creating Assets, Savings, and Hope (CA$H) Coalition of the Greater Capital Region is:
- Dedicated to assisting individuals and families to increase their financial self-reliance
- CA$H partners and stakeholders provide support and access to:
- Community resources
- Free tax preparation
- Financial education and
- Asset building activities and strategies
- Organization: CA$H Coalition of the Greater Capital Region
- Mission: Dedicated to assisting individuals and families to increase their financial self-reliance
- Event: “Paycheck Checkup” – Review Your Tax Documents…
- Location of event: Free Tax Prep VITA Sites – Multiple Locations in 7 Counties
- Date/Time: Days and Evenings – Call 2-1-1
- Cost: FREE
- Contact Information: Circles of Mercy – 11 Washington St. – Rensselaer, NY
- Facebook: Yes – CA$H Coalition of the Greater Capital Region
- Website: www.GetFreeTaxPrep.org
~~~ Segment FOUR~~~
Great Holiday Events in Schenectady
Jim Salengo, Executive Director
Description of events listed below:
- A 2-day outdoor seasonal marketplace featuring an array of vendors and artisans in a large heated tent offering original quality crafts, holiday decorations & gifts, collectibles, homemade food, wine & beer, and original art/photography, along with local businesses and food vendors.
- Enjoy FREE and FUN activities for the entire family. Stop by Schenectady’s City Hall and enjoy hands-on activities and kids’ crafts, then visit with Santa and have a FREE family picture taken. And much, much more!
- Enjoy an afternoon in Downtown Schenectady hopping from location to location tasting great chili from some of Schenectady County’s best restaurants and pubs while sampling local and regional craft brews.
- Organization: Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation
- 2nd Annual Downtown Schenectady Holiday Bazaar on Jay Street. Friday Dec 7 (5-8 pm) and Sat. Dec. 9 (11 am to 6 pm). No charge
- 15th Annual Downtown Schenectady City Hall-iday at the City Hall on Sat. Dec. 8 from 12 to 4 pm. No charge
- 4th Annual Schenectady County Chili Countdown & Craft Brew Trail at Downtown Schenectady Restaurants on Sat. Dec. 8 from noon to 5 pm. $1 pr chili sample; $1 per craft brew sample
~~~ Segment FIVE~~~
Blacksmithing Art – Gift Ideas
Bryan Salisbury, Artist
From their website: One day while cleaning the barn, Bryan was trying to figure out what to do with all the used horseshoes he had. An idea came to him. He built a coal forge, took some classes and started “playing”. He created various figurines and signs for friends and, before he knew it, orders started coming in and Forgeries Blacksmithing was born. A fascination with the old west was the inspiration for many of his initial pieces. However, he has since branched out to encompass a wider genre, using discarded railroad spikes, rasp files and stock metal, along with the horseshoes for the base of his projects. Sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes whimsical, he strives to capture the envisioned effect in each piece he creates. Always the student, he continues to refine his blacksmithing and welding techniques, which is reflected in the creativity of his projects. He enjoys the challenge of his “one-of-a-kind” custom orders, but is happy to create customer favorites … even using the shoes of a treasured horse when requested
- Organization: Forgeries Blacksmithing
- Contact Information: Forgeries990@gmail.com & (518) 898-8174, (518) 368-5879
- Website: www.forgeriesblacksmithing.com
~~~ Segment SIX~~~
Girl Scouts of the Northeastern NY
Mary Buszuwski, CEO
Information has not been provided as of the date of publication. They will be discussing Mentoring. From their website: It’s hard to even begin to describe everything Girl Scouts can give you because the opportunities are endless and each leader, parent, Girl, and Girl Scout volunteer gets to design their own path tailored to meet her needs. Don’t believe us? Check out these 9 great reasons to join Girl Scouts of Northeastern New York. Ultimately, the most important thing to remember – whether you’re an adult volunteer or a Girl earning her first patch – is that you’re part of something that builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
- Organization: Girl Scouts of the Northeaster New York
- Website: www.girlscoutsneny.org
~~~~~~~~~~ Upcoming Shows ~~~~~~~~~~
December 4, 2018 – #1062
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Classic Theater Guild – Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Event Dec 12 to 16)
- Glenn Read, Director
- Others TBA
CM School of Fine Arts – Nightmare Before Christmas (Event Dec 8-9)
- Timothy Sherman, Theatre Director/Choreographer
- Others TBAS
Mendelssohn Club Concert (Events Dec 4/Dec 14/ Dec 31)
- Jeff Vredenburg, Conductor
- Others TBA
Schenectady Civic Players – Looking at Christmas (Dec 7-13)
- Mark Stephens, Director
- Others TBA
December 11, 2018 – #1063
Filmed on Location
VISIT the Museum of Innovation and Science ON LOCATION
This show is dedicated to the Museum of Innovation and Science (miSci). We’ll visit the Toy Exhibit, the Challenger Learning Center, the Various Exhibits, the Planetarium, the Dudley Observatory and the Archives. If you have never been to miSci, this show will give you a glimpse of what is available right here in our own backyard.
December 18, 2018 – #1064
(Filmed on Location)
VISIT the Saratoga Auto Museum ON LOCATION
This show is dedicated to the Saratoga Auto Museum. Join us as we visit this fabulous exhibit of cars of all types: Racing Cars, vintage cars and collectors cars. I even get a chance to take a ride in the ARDEN racecar. You’ll see that on film. Interviews with the Executive Director and the Curator as well as a volunteer. This museum is a treat for the whole family. They even have a Children’s activities room. The museum is located near the Gideon Putnam.
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @SchenectadyTodayShow
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
“Schenectady Today – In and Around the Capital Region” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 20th year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.