Schenectady / Capital Region Today
Now in our 22nd Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
March 10, 2020 – Show #1123
Overture Band & Janis Joplin Show
Ginger Miller, Promotor & Heidi Weinman, Performer
- Event: Overture Band & Janis Joplin Show
- Location of event: Frog Alley Brewing
- Date/Time: Thurs. Mar 12 from 7 to 10 pm
- Cost: not given
- Website: www.FrogAlleyBrewing.com
Miss Fulton and Miss Montgomery Counties
Victoria Opalka, Miss Montgomery County & Marriana Mattice, Miss Fulton County
Miss Fulton County 2020 – Marriana Mattice social impact initiative is, “Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation: Bringing Awareness to Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.”
Miss Montgomery County 2020 – Victoria Opalka social impact initiative is, “Fostering Food Security and Wellness.”
Both Marriana and Victoria will be competing at the Miss New York competition at the Paramount Hudson Valley Theater located in Peekskill, New York. The competition will be from May 27th to May 30th and will include four phases of competition including: Interview, Talent, Red Carpet, and On-stage question/Social Impact Statement.
Marriana’s talent is live painting and Victoria’s talent is Original Monologue.
- Organization: Miss Fulton & Montgomery County Scholarship organization
- Mission: The Miss Fulton & Miss Montgomery County Scholarship Organization awards thousands of dollars’ worth of scholarships to teens and young women in Fulton and Montgomery Counties. This year alone, we awarded over $17,000 to local women. As a local preliminary to the Miss America Organization, each year, we provide the opportunity for two local women to compete at the state level for a chance to advance to the Miss America Competition. We are committed to the Miss America motto, “Prepare Great Women for the World. Prepare the World for Great Women.” Our organization provides mentorship, support and encouragement so our titleholders can impact our local communities advocating for causes that important to them.
- Facebook: Yes Miss Fulton Count & Miss Montgomery County …….
- Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @fulmontmao
- Instagram: @fultonmontgomerymao
- Website: www.missfultoncountyny.org
Women of Achievement
Kim Siciliano, CEO and Carole Merrill-Mazurek, Pres BOD
Now in its 37th year, the Women of Achievement Awards celebration seeks to bring awareness and recognition to the extraordinary achievements of women throughout the Capital Region. Since 1984, YWCA NorthEastern NY has honored over 270 women who are incredibly deserving of wide community recognition, yet often go under-recognized for their contributions. These women not only exemplify what it is to be an empowered woman, they also serve as role models for young women throughout the area, helping them realize their true potential.
- Organization: YWCA of NENY
- Mission: YWCA NorthEastern NY is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
- Event: 37th Annual Women of Achievement Awards Luncheon
- Location of event: Rivers Convention Center
- Date/Time: Fri. Mar. 27 — 11:30AM – 1:00PM
- Cost: General Reservation – $75; Honorary Committee – $100; Table of 8 – $600
- Facebook: Yes
- Twitter: @ywcaneny
- Instagram: @ywca_neny
- Website: www.ywca-neny.org
John Henry & the Baltimores of Troy
Clifford Oliver Mealy, Photographer, Historian
Display and lecture of vintage photographs of the John Henry Family and Friends from the Whitehall Historical Association. John Henry had been a slave in Virginia until the end of the civil war. He accompanied Lt. Wm. Boyd of NY’s 5th Cavalry home to Whitehall where John Henry established a successful blacksmith shop and married into one of the most prestigious black families north of New York City.
- Mission: To educate the public on local history. To obtain for more information on the identities of the photographs shown.
- Facebook: Yes
- Cost: Free
United Way of Greater Capital Region
Peter Gannon, President & CEO
Journey to Career Symposium: https://www.unitedwaygcr.org/journey
518 Day: https://www.unitedwaygcr.org/518-day
- Organization: United Way of the Capital Region
- Mission: United Way of the Greater Capital Region improves lives and advances the common good in the Greater Capital Region by mobilizing the caring power of donors, volunteers and community partners to give, volunteer and advocate for local people in need.
- Event: Journey to Career Symposium, 5.18 Day, 211, VITA Tax Prep
- Location of event: various
- Date/Time: various
- Facebook: Yes
- Twitter: @UnitedWay_GCR
- Instagram: @unitedway_gcr
- Website: www. Unitedwaygcr.org
Mother Teresa Cancer Awareness
Terra Maddalone-Ristau, Executive Director
This Charity event will be hosted by Dr. Benita Zahn of Channel 13 News featuring a Live Auction with LeGrande Serras and music and dancing with DJ Nick of Maddalone Entertainment. There will be surprises around every corner all night long.
From Information release: There are no restrictions on how they use the funds as we know (from firsthand experience) as well as it has been shared by some of the recipients, that the needs are many; from co-pays, medications, groceries, transportation to treatment, home care, child care, rent and mortgage payments (the list is endless).
In addition to monetary assistance, MTCAF also sends gift cards to the patients and their families during the holidays to assist in some small way of alleviating more of the anxiety that occurs when looking to have a holiday dinner or gift for their child.
It is so much more than the money; it is about sharing with those in our very own community who need us at such a difficult time in their lives that we are here for them, that they are not alone and that we as a community do care.
- Organization: The Mother Teresa Cancer Awareness Fund
- Mission: The Mother Teresa Cancer Awareness Fund assists those in the Capital District who have cancer with their out of pocket expenses related to their treatment.
- Event: Mother Teresa Cancer Awareness Fund Gala – A Night of Hope Under the Stars Gala
- Location of event: Longfellows Hotel & Restaurant
- Date/Time: Fri. Mar 27 — 7:00pm – 11:00 pm
- Cost: General Admission $120 (Cash Bar) VIP $160 (Open Bar)
- Website: Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-night-of-hope-under-the-stars-gala-tickets-87553762661
March 17, 2020 Show #1124
(Guests and topics subject to change)
Crossroads Center for Children – Gala (Event Apr. 4)
Cindy Barkowski, Board President
Vicki Ramotar, MSED Resource Development Specialist
Friends of Recovery – New York
(Contact individual: Paulette Doudoukjian)
Gospel Jubilee (Event April 3 at Proctors)
Rev. Dr. Elgin Joseph Taylor, Sr., Musical Director (email required)
Gretchel Hathway, Stage & Choir Coordinator (email required)
(Contact Individual: Sara Hill)
Schenectady Civic Players – This Random World — (Event 3/20-29)
Cristine M. Loffredo, Director
Alice Grindling “Beth Ward”
Alex Dagg “Gary”
(Contact individuals: John Hickman, Don Mealy. Kathy Frisic)
Schenectady Symphony Orchestra – (Event 3/22 @ Proctors)
Glen Cortese, Artistic Director
(Contact Individual: Mardy Moore)
Tax Update – Continued
Melinda Burns, Dir, Adult Ed for Wildwood Programs
Denise Dinoto, Co-chair of Marketing Com. Cash Coalition
(Contact Individual: Richard Zazycki)
March 24, 2020 Show #1125
(Guests and topics subject to change)
Ghent Playhouse “Fun House” (Event Mar 27 to Apr 13)
Jan’s Wanderings – Topic TBA
Joan Nicole Prince Home
Amanda Neveu, Director
Musical Union of Schenectady/ Amsterdam – Jazz Appreciation Month – Apr 4 Proctors
Michael Benedict, Representative
Schenectady County Public Library – Dealing with Serious Illness
Carol Furman, League of Women Voters of Schenectady
Eleanor Aronstein, League of Women Voters, Schenectady
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @Schenectady-Capital Region Today Show
- Facebook 1000th Show @SchdyToday1000
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
- Show is available on demand on YouTube and on www.openstqgemedia.org as well as on Fios
“Schenectady Today –Capital Region Today” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 22nd year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
FRIDAY at 6 pm on most of the outer Capital Region areas (more often in Albany and Sch’dy stations): Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.