In & Around the Capital Region
Now In Our 20th Year!
Guest Line Up for the next four weeks of filming. (May be subject to change)
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am at Proctors Underground on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself1
April 3, 2018 #1027
Scheduled Topics on the Show with Guests
(Listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Information below has been provided by the Guests or from their websites
~~~ Segment ONE~~~
Art d’echo Trio – Performing
- Mike Lawrence, Bassist,
- Dave Gleason, Pianist
- Pete Sweeney, Drummer
April was designated Jazz Appreciation Month in 2002 by the Smithsonian Institute. Each year the Albany Musician’s Union (AFM local 14) puts on a free concert for the public featuring four jazz groups at the Colonie Elks Club. Food and beverage are available to purchase at the bar and grill. The Art D’echo Trio will perform a set at 2:55. Other groups featured that day will be Mo Rancourt Quartet at 2pm; Michael Benedict’s Jazz Vibes at 3:50pm; Scott Bassinson Quartet at 4:45pm.
Dave Gleason teaches music at Schenectady High School and Mike Lawrence teaches orchestra at Oneida Middle School. Pete Sweeney has toured the world as both a performer and educator in addition to authoring a number of drum set method books. The three began performing together over 15 years ago as the rhythm section of a local big band; Dave subsequently led the Latin-jazz group Sensemaya; the three have performed as the Sensemaya Trio; Peanut Gallery Jazz Band before settling on the new name. The Art D’echo Trio can be seen performing regularly at Grapa ’72 in Albany and various town park concerts around the region. Mike and Dave often perform as a duo at Jazz Vespers at 1st Reformed Church in the Stockade as well as at Duke’s Chophouse in Rivers Casino.
- Organization: Art d’echo Trio
- Mission: Classic jazz piano trio performing concert music around the region. Live performance on the show will be the focus. (Minimal microphones required, a room sound would be better than close mic’ing each instrument.)
- Event: Albany Musician’s Union Jazz Appreciation Month Concert
- Location of event: Colonie elks Club at 11 Elks Lane, Albany, NY 12110-0756
- Date/Time: Sunday April 29 from 3-5:30 pm
- Cost: Free and Open to the Public
- Facebook: Yes @ArtDecho3
- Website: www.AlbanyJazz.com
~~~ Segment TWO ~~~
Taxes! Final Update – Deadline Apr. 17
- Tracy Randle, Director CA$H Program – United Way
- Joanne Passineau, CA$H Site Coordinator
VITA Sites will be open through Apr 17, deadline for filing your NYS and Fed taxes.
- Organization: CA$H Coalition of the Greater Capital Region
- Mission: Free Tax Preparation
- Event: Free Tax Prep
- Location of event: Varied
- Date/Time: Varied
- Cost: Free service
- Contact Information: Dial 211 to set up an appointment
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/CASHGreaterCapRegion
- Website: www.GetFreeTaxPrep.org & www.cashgreatercapitalregion.org & www.MyFreeTaxes.com
~~~ Segment THREE ~~~
Amazing Cakes – Treatie Beatie Cakes by Evelyn
- Evelyn Keplinger, Cake Decorator
- Robert Keplinger, Assistant/ baker
Evelyn’s goal is to eventually have her own cake show and share ideas with other bakers and have guest artists from all over to teach the arts. She’s also like to be a regular on the Food Network and that would be her dream come true.
Evelyn has been featured in Cake Central Magazine and Cake asters Magazine, New York Cakes Newsletter as well in many other articles and competitions in New York City.
Photos of some of her cakes will be shown during the show.
From her website: At Treatie Beatie Cakes By Evelyn, we create cakes and cupcakes for all occasions: Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Corporate Events, Bar Mitzvahs, and more. Our cakes are made from only the finest ingredients, including our very own signature buttercream, and ganache. Sometimes a cake is covered in fondant to create a beautiful, mouth-watering design! We’re happy to work with any idea, no matter how far-fetched! It could be a multi-tiered cake, with favorite fun characters on it, or maybe a cake made to look like a high heel shoe! We’ve even made gumball machine cakes, fit for any child or adult. We welcome a challenge, whether it be an elegant or simple creation, we’ve got it covered.
- Organization: Treatie Beatie Cakes by Evelyn
- Location: Niskayuna NY
- Contact: 518-857-5697
- Website: www.TreatieBeatieCakes.com
~~~ Segment FOUR ~~~
She’s Awaken – Empowering women
- Julia Banks, Founder
This event on Oct. 23 will bring awareness to the effects of domestic violence and sexual abuse. So many men, women and children are being triggered and don’t realize what is happening. We/re working on jobs, going to school, in relationships, raising families, playing sports, operating in ministry, working in churches, but don’t know that we are being triggered by traumatic experiences. This event will raise awareness, we will have a few speakers as well as panelist, vendors and other organizations in the building. We will have a speaker that will share her story of domestic violence, and the triggers, we will have someone talk about sexual abuse and her triggers, we will also have someone talk about being in a relationship at 11 years old and how they were being physically and sexually abused and no one knew. I would love it if a man could come and share their story.
- Organization: She’s Awaken
- Mission: Our mission is to host various events that will help women to awaken to their true selves. To help people heal and find freedom in the area of their past pain/trauma. Once she is awakened she then understands the importance of family, children, health, men, finances, community. When she’s awakened she will walk in who she was created to be not what trauma told her to be.
- Event: Breaking the Silence
- Location of event: 313 Clinton St. Sch’dy (Career Training Center of the City Mission)
- Date/Time: Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 10 am
- Cost: Free event
- Contact Information: 518-672-1168
- Facebook: Yes. “She’s Awaken”
- Instagram: @Shesawaken
- Website: not yet available
~~~ Segment FIVE ~~~
Decorative Mural and Plaster at Proctors!
- Janice Walz, committee member
Janice will show us photos of the mural and also the beautiful decorative plaster castings at Proctors.
- Organization: Proctors Historical Committee
- Mission: To save and promote the history of Proctors
- Location: 432 State Street, Schenectady
- Contact: Audrey Hughes, President — email@example.com
- Facebook: Yes.
- Website: www.Proctors.org
April 10, 2018 – #1028 (
Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Confetti Stage’s King Lear (Opens April 27)
- George Filieau
- Linda Shirley, Director
Domestic Violence (Event April 27)
- Sabrina Heilmann
Empty Bowls at Union
- Angela Tatem
7th Annual Gospel Jubilee (Event Apr. 20)
- Sara Hill, Organizer
miSci- Museum of Innovation and Science
- Chris Hunter, VP of Collections and Exhibitions
- Tara Burnham, VP marketing & Communications
Schenectady Senior Center
- Susan Beth Olsen, Program Manager
- Jean Barnoski, Volunteer
April 17, 2018 – #1029
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
IN OUR NEW LOCTION – THE ADDY THEATRE – 3RD floor Proctors
ARC Food Truck Event
John Hill Band – Performing – arrival time 9 am
Schenectady City Historian
- Chris Leonard
Schenectady Steinmetz Career Center – Culinary Arts – Cooking Demo – arrival time is 9 am
- Laura Macey, Instructor
- Student’s names?
April 24, 2018 – #1030
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Albany Civic Theater’s Appropriate (Event May 4-20)
- Patrick White, Director
Conversation – Career Transition — with:
- Mary Kenney
miSci – Museum of Innovation & Science – Big Bang Gala! (Event May 4)
- Guests TBA
Schenectady Jewish Community Center – Topic TBA
- Mark Weintraub, Executive Director
Schenectady Light Opera’s Sister Act (Event May 4 – 13)
- Guests TBA
Temple Israel – Events
- Sierra Lynch
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @SchenectadyTodayShow
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
“Schenectady Today – In and Around the Capital Region” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 20th year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.