Schenectady Today In & Around the Capital Region
Now in our 21st Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
July 16, 2019 – Show #1093
Will Kempe’s Players
Kristoph DiMaria, Musical Director, Director, Performer, Clown
Sandra Boynton, Artistic Director, Director, Wardrobe
Angelina Castro, Marketing Director, Choreographer
Andria Rabenold, Performer, Musician
Will Kempe’s Players presents two of Shakespeare’s most well-known plays for a summer of comedy, tragedy, magick, and music. A Midsummer Night’s Dream features professional local performers in the timeless storytelling of faerie mythos, unrequited love, and theatrical hijinx played within beautiful outdoor spaces throughout the Capital Region. The Tragedy of Hamlet takes us to medieval Denmark for a powerful rendition of the most prominent revenge play in the English-speaking world. Featuring Jocelynn Joy Murphy as the eponymous prince, Hamlet will open in Prospect Park on August 3rd and be performed within local theaters thereafter.
- Organization: Will Kempe’s Players Cooperative (WKP)
- Mission: Will Kempe’s Players is a regional theater cooperative from Troy, NY that produces a wide range of theatrical performance utilizing the methods used by William Shakespeare and his contemporaries. Our aim is to create quality experiences by promoting an all-inclusive creative environment, and making Shakespeare’s works engaging and accessible to modern audiences while retaining historical authenticity.
- Event: A Midsummer Night’s Dream / The Tragedy of Hamlet
- Location of event: Music Haven, Schenectady / Prospect Park, Troy
- Date/Time: July 26th and 27th / August 3rd and 4th (both Saturdays and Sundays) – 7pm (both days) / 3pm (both days)
- Cost: Free and open to the public / $20 suggested contribution
- Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Yes — Will Kempe’s Players
- Twitter: @WillKempe
- Instagram: @willkempesplayers
- Website: www.willkempesplayers.com and https://www.willkempesplayers.com/2019-season
Nisky Neighbors – A Villages Project
Yvette Gebell, Founder Nisky Neighbors
Mary DeLory, Founder Nisky Neighbors
Ken Harris, Executive Director Albany Guardian Society
Nancy Varley, Pres. Shenendehowa Neighbors Connecting
We are in the early process of establishing a “Village model” in Niskayuna. A Village is a Neighbor helping Neighbor concept. We have chosen to work with Albany Guardian Society. They support Village development through their Capital Region Villages Collaborative. Further assistance is available through their association with the State Office for the Aging in the Village Technical Assistance Center. Joining us is Nancy Varley, President of the recently formed Shenendehowa Neighbors Connecting, and a Village in Clifton Park, who will be sharing their experiences also.
Event Info: National & State experts will inform and educate the community on the Village concept. A free lunch and networking will follow
- Organization: Nisky Neighbors
- Mission: “Its mission is to help seniors retain their independence, stay in their homes and remain active in their communities by providing support and enhancing their quality of life. Programs & services are provided through volunteer-based, neighbor to neighbor, pay it forward, mutual support services”. Excerpted from the Village 101 Toolkit
- Event: Village Movement Presentation and Picnic Lunch
- Location of event: Carondolet Hospitality Center, 385 Watervliet Shaker Road, Latham 12110
- Date/Time: Tuesday, August 20 from 10 am to 12:30 pm
- Cost: No charge
- Contact Information: NiskyNeighbors@gmail.com
- Website: not available
The Breakthrough Squad!
Crissie Beauchemin, Collaborator & Jacky Vimislik, Collaborator
Story Circle: This will be a twice monthly event where you can come share a story or a gripe with like-minded people. After discussing your issue with the group, you get to go to the Stress Fracture van to break a piece or three of glass to release your stress while being cheered on by others in the group! Afterward, you will come back to the group to discuss your experience. Simple refreshments will be served.
- Organization: The Breakthrough Squad
- Mission: Christina Beauchemin of Let My Legacy Be Love, LLC and Jacky Vimislik of Stress Fracture, LLC have come together to create “The Breakthrough Squad.” Their program Breakthrough! Reveal,
>> Release, Reclaim, is a three-hour workshop which includes:
>> Reveal! Getting to the root of a recurring pattern that is preventing you from living to your fullest potential.
>> Release! Breaking selected glass items in a safe environment as a physical expression of letting go of a recurring pattern or dissatisfaction.
>> Reclaim! A creative project to symbolize reclaiming your personal power and re-visioning life with a healthy behavior pattern around the chosen issue.
- Event: Story Circle
- Location of event: 973 County Route 32, Malden Bridge, NY
- Date/Time: August 6 at 7 pm
- Cost: $15
- Contact Information: 518-649-3158
- Facebook: Yes “Breakthrough Squad”
- Website: www.thebreakthroughsquad.com
Silent Sky at Sch’dy Civic Players
Jennifer Van Iderstyne, Director & Carol Charniga, Actor
Henrietta Leavitt is an astronomer ahead of her time. Silent Sky is the dramatization of her true story that explores a woman’s place in society during a time of immense scientific discoveries, when a woman’s ideas were dismissed until a man claimed credit for them.
Henrietta joins a group of women at Harvard University who are “human computers”. She is motivated by a belief that there are galaxies beyond our own — a belief that defies the consensus among her male superiors. She begins the process of recording changes in stars – a scientific discovery that has a profound and lasting impact on the field of astronomy.
During her inquiry, Henrietta’s relationships with her sister Margaret, her love interest Peter Shaw, and her friends and colleagues Annie Cannon and Williamina Fleming all come under strain as she struggles to find a balance between the importance of her work and the simple joys in life.
Silent Sky is a poignant tale of the dedication of these women that changed the way we understand both the heavens and Earth, while exploring love and the human touch that makes life under the vast sky beautiful and timeless.
The play features: Lydia Nightingale, Cara Juras, Carol Charniga, Melissa M. Brown and Thomas Swimm, with original music by Jenny Giering.
- Organization: Schenectady Civic Players
- Mission: to provide high quality entertaining and informative theatrical experiences to the community, while nurturing the talent in the community.
- Event: The play, Silent Sky by Lauren Gunderson
- Location of event: Schenectady Civic Playhouse, 12 S Church St, Sch’dy 12305
- Date/Time: July 19 to 28 — 8 pm July 19, 20, 26, 27 and 2:30 pm July 21, 27 & 28
- Cost: $20/person open seating/ no reservations
- Facebook: Yes – Schenectady Civic Players
- Website: www.civicplayers.org
Walter Simpkins, Executive Director
From their Website: Community Fathers Incorporated is a 501(c) 3 Non-profit organization that began as a once a week support group for men in the community. The ideology came from Fathers who had been through life’s struggles and needed guidance and advice on how to continue through the tough times. A handful of dedicated men showed up weekly and began holding each other accountable for the decisions they made and the situations they put themselves in.
These committed men started to reach out the community and bring in other men like themselves to further the cause. Little by little the group continued to grow, and ideas were spoken into plans, and plans into development. The group then began to take action in the community, allowing their presence to be felt.
- Organization: Community Fathers Inc.
- Mission: Building Communities one father at a time
- Facebook: Yes. Community Fathers Inc
- Website: www.CommunityFathersInc.org
July 23, 2019 Show #1094
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
CarePatrol – Selecting Senior Care
Creative Money Issues Conversation with:
Schenectady Community Ministries – Summer Meals Program
Rev. Phil Grigsby
Travel — Conversation with:
Waterford Historical Museum & Cultural Center
Anastasia Garceau, Director
July 30, 2019 Show #1095
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Dance Crazy – Appraiser’s Roadshow
Prince Sprauve, Director
Museum of Innovation and Science – Renovations
Guests to be announced
Saratoga Auto Museum
Singles Outreach Services, Inc.
Dave Freeman, Board Member