In & Around the Capital Region
Guest Line Up for the next four weeks of filming. (May be subject to change)
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am at Proctors Underground on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
August 29, 2017 #997
Scheduled Topics on the Show with Guests
(Listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Information below has been provided by the Guests or from their websites
~~~ Segment ONE ~~~
The Scottish Games are Here Again!
Bill Munro, Schenectady Pipe Band
What could be more fun than the Scottish Games? Animals, the Highland Games, Highland Dancing, Bagpipes, Competitions, great Bands, crafts, foods, vendors and more.
From their website: Since 1995, Enter The Haggis have led the charge among Celtic Folk Rock bands, delighting fans with their memorable performances, inspired songwriting, musical proficiency and high quality recordings. The Toronto-based band has released eight acclaimed studio albums, the most recent debuting at #9 on the U.S. national Billboard Heatseekers charts. Their original songs such as “One Last Drink”, “Down With The Ship” and “Gasoline” have become folk rock anthems, appearing in films such as “Goon”, “10mph” and “Addicted to Plastic”, and reaching as high as #25 on U.S. radio. Enter The Haggis will be performing on the Main Beer Tent Stage both Saturday 9/2 & Sunday 9/3. View the schedule of time in the games program.
- Organization: The Scottish Games – Schenectady Bagpipe Band
- Event: Capital District Scottish Games
- Location of event: Altamont Fairgrounds, 129 Grand, Altamont, NY
- Date/Time: Sat/Sun Sept 2 & 3. Gates open on Sun at 8 am and Sat at 10 am
- Cost: go to website – tickets start at $18 (discounts for veterans and military – bring ID)
- Contact Information: see website for complete details
- Facebook: Yes.
- Website: www.scotgames.com
~~~ Segment TWO ~~~
A Place for Jazz Fall Concert Series
Tim Coakley, President
We put on five jazz concerts each fall at the Unitarian Universalist Society of Schenectady,
1221 Wendell Ave. We also provide an annual scholarship to a deserving music student at
Schenectady County Community College.
A Place for Jazz is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, which means that all direct contributions are tax deductible. In this time of declining arts funding, all contributions are gratefully accepted.
- Organization: A Place for Jazz
- Event: A Place for Jazz Concert Series
- Location of event: Unitarian Universalist Society
- Date/Time: Concert Series (Sept 8, 22 & Oct 6, 20 & Nov 3)
- Cost: $20 for adults and $10 for students
- Contact Information: go to website
- Facebook: yes “A Place for Jazz”
- Website: www.APlaceForJazz.org
~~~ Segment THREE ~~~
Little Italy Street Festival
Doreen Ditoro, Rossi & Ditoro Funeral Home
Roie Angerami, Civitello’s Italian Pastry Shoppe
Street specialties (off their website) — Arancini, Zeppole, Sausage, Pepper Cookies, Italian Ices, Gelato, Pastries, Italian Wings, and many great wines and craft beers. Entertainment has not yet been announced on their website.
- Organization: Little Italy Street Fest
- Mission: To promote Italian Heritage throughout the generations.
- Event: Little Italy Street Fest in Schenectady
- Location of event: North Jay Street, Schenectady
- Date/Time: Saturday, Sept 9 from noon to 9 pm
- Cost: No charge
- Contact Information: Doreen: 518-374-0854 or email@example.com
- Facebook: Yes “The Annual Little Italy Street Fest” or @LittleItalyStreetFest
- Website: www.LittleItalySchdy.com
~~~ Segment FOUR ~~~
Schenectady Job Fair
Peter Jones, Event Coordinator
Beth Pellegrino, Speed Networking Chair
Bringing together job seekers and employers with open positions. Offering resume’ scanning, resume’ critique, Speed Networking and workshops to help job seekers with their search. Will be raffling off two $100 Master Card gift cards for participation in special events. Over 40 employers with positions currently available.
- Organization: Capital Job Development Group
- Mission: To bring together employers looking to fill positions with people looking for work and to provide tools to help those job seekers improve their chances of obtaining the position they desire.
- Event: Schenectady Job Fair
- Location of event: Proctors and Key Hall
- Date/Time: Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 10 am to 4 pm
- Cost: Free to job seekers
- Contact Information: Cjdg0407@gmail.com
- Facebook: Yes “Capital Job Development Group”
- Website: www.cjdg.org
~~~ Segment FIVE ~~~
B-Designs – How About a Change?
Maria Bortugno, Owner
Bdesigns was born of the belief that good taste can be affordable, and that the homeowner can and should play a significant role in the design, construction and decorating process. After all, no two homeowners are the same, so why should the home be? Even homeowners who tell me they have “bad taste,” have opinions about what the like. So I ask the question “Does your home look like you?
From the press release: Latham NY – Maria Bortugno, B Designs of Latham NY, has been awarded “Best Of Houzz” by Houzz, the leading platform for home remodeling and design. The B Designs Was built over eleven years ago, with the firm belief that it is, “Your home, not ours”. Even customers who tell us they have bad taste, have opinions about what they like”. B Designs, was chosen by the more than 16 million monthly users that comprise the Houzz community.
Houzz is the leading platform for home remodeling and design, providing people with everything they need to improve their homes from start to finish – online or from a mobile device. From decorating a room to building a custom home, Houzz connects millions of homeowners, home design enthusiasts and home improvement professionals across the country and around the world. With the largest residential design database in the world and a vibrant community powered by social tools, Houzz is the easiest way for people to get the design inspiration, project advice, product information and professional reviews they need to help turn ideas into reality. For more information, visit www.houzz.com
- Organization: B-Designs
- Contact Information: see website
- Facebook: yes @bedesignsforyou
- Instagram: @ mj bdesigns
- Twitter: @bortugno
- Website: www.mj_bortugno.houzz.com
~~~ Segment SIX ~~~
Antique/Classic Car Show
Jean Barnoski, Board Member/Car Show Chair
From their flyer: Music, Food, Vendors, 50/50 Raffle! Free parking with donations gratefully accepted.
Classics, antiques, hotrods, muscle cars, trucks and motorcycles are welcome. Dash plaques, trophies for favorites, Spectator’s Choice, President’s Choice and Best of Show. Must be on the field by 12 Noon. (SE Rotary Club members’ cars not eligible for judging) Judging begins at Noon. Cut off year 1992. Trophies presented approx. 2:45 PM
- Organization: Schenectady East Rotary Club
- Mission: The mission of Rotary is to provide service to others, promote integrity and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders.
- Event: Patriot’s Day Antique and Classic Car Show
- Location of event: Mabee Farm Historic Site – Rotterdam Junction
- Date/Time: Sunday, Sept 3, 2017 from 10 am to 3 pm
- Cost: Free to Spectators
- Contact Information:
- Website: www.Rotary7190.org
Sept 5, 2017 #998
Scheduled Topics on the Show with Guests
Carrot Festival (Event Sept 10)
- Hillary Fink
- Guests TBA
Proctors Historical Committee – A Look at the Addy!
- Janice Walz, Committee Member
Sand Lake Historical Society – “Who Killed Hazel Drew”
- Joan Fuess
- Others TBA
Schuyler Mansion & Crailo State Historic Sites
- Heidi Hill, Manager
Upper Union Street Event – 5 K Run
- Guests TBA
- Gregg Kelly or Joe DeFilippo (need email addresses)
Women’s Employment and Resource Center
- Beth Miller, Executive Director
- Patricia Blais, Marketing Consultant & WERC Board Vice Chair
Sept 12, 2017 #999
Scheduled Topics on the Show with Guests
Capital Repertory Theatre – “Sex with Strangers”
- Maggie Mancinelli-Cahill, Artistic Director
- Other guests TBA
Habitat for Humanity’s Build A Bash (Event Sept 28)
- Madelyn Thorne, Executive Director
Schenectady Historical Society “Farm to Fork” (Event Sept 16)
- Mary Zawacki, Executive Director
SLOC’s “Cabaret” – (Event Sept 22 to Oct 1)
- Peter Caracappa, Director
- Other Guests TBA
Story Circle – Season Debut at Proctors and Glen Sanders
- Kate Dudding, Storyteller
Walk for R.I.T.A. – American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – (Event Sept 24)
- Laura Marx, Area Director, Capital Region, S. Central NY Chapters
Sept 19, 2017 #1000
YES! It’s our 1000th show!!!!
~~~~~ Featured Musical/Entertainment Guests ~~~~~
FLAME the Band in the GE Theatre
Derrick Horton and the Jay Street Band in the Atrium
Sherri Bellucci, Folksinger
Mark Carrigan, The Puppet People
Edd Clifford “The Human Jukebox
Don “The Soul Man” Hyman
Malcolm Kogut on Piano
Adam Marquise Productions – Circus
Byron Nilsson “Songs to Amuse”
Cindy Werner from Zing A Gram
More to come
~~~~~ Other Guests – listed alphabetically ~~~~~
Greg Aidala, Area Personality – Co Host
Jon Russell Cring, Area Filmmaker
Greg Dewey, President Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Bill Healy, Biblomania – Guest from our First show 1998
Mayor Gary McCarthy
Philip Morris, CEO Proctors
Leesa Perazzo, President Sch’dy City Council
Angelo Santabarbara, Assemblyman
Jim Tedisco, NYS Senator
More to come – stay tuned!
- www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @SchenectadyTodayShow
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
- “Schenectady Today – In and Around the Capital Region” An All-Volunteer Production
- Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 19th year