Schenectady Today In & Around the Capital Region
Now in our 21st Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
May 14, 2019 – Show #1084
Maria Derian, Church Member
Join us for this annual cultural event that includes delicious Armenian foods and pastries, vendors selling a wide array of products, children’s activities, and live music. Something for everyone! Free parking and admission. Maria will be displaying some foods that will be served during the Armenian Festival weekend.
- Organization: St. Peter Armenian Church
- Event: Armenian Festival
- Location of event: 100 Troy-Schenectady Road, Watervliet
- Date/Time: Saturday, June 1 and Sunday, June 2 — Saturday 12-8 p.m. and Sunday 12-4 p.m.
- Cost: Free Admission & Parking
- Contact Information: 518-274-3673 or email@example.com
- Facebook: @stpeterarmenianapostolicchurch
- Website: www.stpeterarmenianchurch.com
The Elephant Man at Circle Theatre Players
Eric Washburn, Director & Cast Members: Ken Goldfarb & George Filieau
The Elephant Man is a dramatization of the life of Joseph Merrick, who was born with a disfiguring and progressive disorder, and his relationship with Dr. Frederick Treves, a London physician, and with others in England during the 1880s. The play won a Tony Award for best play in 1979 and became an Oscar-nominated film soon thereafter.
- Organization: Circle Theatre Players
- Mission: Sand Lake Center for the Arts is a not for profit community arts center, home to theatrical productions, community meetings, concerts, workshops and classes.
- Event: The Elephant Man
- Location of event: Sand Lake Center for the Arts – 2880 Route 43, Averill Park
- Date/Time: May 31, June 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9 — Thursdays through Saturdays, 8PM; Sundays, 2:30PM
- Cost: $18, $10 for under 18
- Contact Information:
- Website: www.slca-ctp.org
Old Songs Festival of Traditional Music and Dance
Joe Bennett, Executive Director
John Roberts, Folk Singer
Old Songs is a family-friendly festival of folk, traditional, Celtic and regional music and dance, known for its relaxed atmosphere, interactive sessions and workshops, hands-on experience and participatory nature. In addition to multi-performer concerts each evening, there are over 100 daytime workshops, dances or performances.
John Roberts will be appearing on May 19th in Belfast, ME and on June 6-9 at the Mystic Sea Music Festival in Mystic CT Seaport Museum. He will be appearing at the Old Songs Festival.
- Organization: Old Songs Inv.
- Mission: Old Songs is dedicated to keeping traditional music and dance alive through the presentation of festivals, concerts, dances and educational programs.
- Event: Old Songs Festival of Traditional Music and Dance
- Location of event: Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont, NY
- Date/Time: June 28-30
- Cost: Various admission fees – see the website
- Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: @oldsongsfestival
- Twitter: @oldsongsfolk
- Instagram: @oldsongsfolk
- Website: www.OldSongs.org and www.Festival.oldsongs.org
Electric City Trucks, Taps, Corks and Forks!
Kelly Dombrowski, Site Director Maple Ridge Center
Luke Wilkinson, Sr. Program Coordinator, Maple Ridge Center
“Electric City Trucks, Taps, Corks and Forks” is our primary fundraiser for 2019. Funds from the event will support the purchase of new technology for the individuals we support in both day and residential programs. In addition to food trucks, specialty vendors, craft brew, wine, hard cider and spirits, the event will feature live music by Grand Central Station and Gordons St., a Kids Fun Zone with games and prizes, a mobile video game truck, inflatables, face painting and more. New this year is the addition of our first Cornhole Tournament! For more information about the event or to register for the Cornhole Tournament visit our event page on our Facebook page. Admission is free to the event.
- Organization: Schenectady ARC
- Mission: Our Mission: Schenectady ARC is committed to helping people in the Capital Region of New York enjoy healthy, rewarding lives as members of their community. Schenectady ARC brings staff, families, and the community together to encourage dreams and respond to each person’s life choices by offering high quality services, resources and supports. Our Vision: Partnerships create the power for people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities to live, learn, work and play as fulfilled members of society.
- Event: Electric City Trucks, Taps, Corks and Forks”
- Location of event: Liberty and Broadway
- Date/Time: May 18 from noon to 4 pm
- Cost: Free admission
- Contact Information: email@example.com or 518-372-1160
- Facebook: @SchenectadyARC
- Twitter: @SchenectadyARC
- Instagram: @Schdyarc
- Website: www.ARCSchenectady.org
Foothills Arts Council, Inc.
Cheryl Charbonneau, Vice President
The event features a buffet dinner, entertainment by singing duo Sister Harmony, and poetry by Judith Prest. Our silent auction items will include art work, jewelry, themed baskets, gift certificates to local businesses and more. Tickets can be purchased through PayPal on our website, in person at Amsterdam’s Spring Fling, or by phone at 518-496-2707.
We’re looking for people who want to get involved in creating and promoting the arts. Some of the many events we sponsor include poetry readings, writing and creativity workshops, art, dance, acting classes for adults and a theater camp for children. We’re starting a new theater group, The Foothills Players. I’m directing our first production, Almost Maine, by John Cariani. That’ll be at Pawling Hall in Hagaman in September.
- Organization: Foothills Arts Council
- Mission: We are Foothills Arts Council, Inc., a non-profit 501C3, formed to promote the arts and produce arts programs in the greater Fulton- Montgomery-Schenectady county area. Art can improve health and well-being. We believe art should be accessible to everyone and we are developing programs with a fresh perspective, on a grass roots level, to inspire our community. Our board and membership are comprised of artists, students, business people and retirees
- Event: Fundraiser Dinner at Parillo’s Armory Grill
- Location of event: Parillo’s Armory Grill, 67 Bridge St. Amsterdam, NY
- Date/Time: May 20 from 6-8 pm (Doors open at 5:30 pm)
- Cost: $25 pp
- Contact Information: 518-496-2707 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Mailing address: P.O.Box 190, Amsterdam NY 12010
- Website: www.FoothillsArtsNY.com and for details: https://foothillsartsny.com/foothills-arts-council-inc-fundraiser-dinner/
Jan’s Wanderings — New Library & Octavo
The Schenectady Library Branch recently opened in Mt Pleasant on Crane Street. Jan is a member of both the Octavo Singers and the Friends of the Library. The Octavo Singers will be performing with orchestra and solo Cellist. Led by Curtis Funk, Octavo Singers will sing Haydn’s “Mass in the Time of War” and Jenkin’s “An Armed Man”.
- Organization: Friends of the Library and Octavo Singers
- Mission: The Mission of the Friends of the Schenectady County Public Library is to assist and support our library system in fulfilling its role as an essential institution dedicated to meeting the literacy, technology, and cultural needs of all members of our community.
- Event – Octavo Singers – Pieces for Peace Concert
- Location of event: St. John the Evangelist Church
- Date/Time: Sat. May 18 at 7:30 pm
- Cost: $25 adults; $20 seniors; $15 students
- Website: www.FriendsofSCPL.org & www.OctavoSingers.org
May 21, 2019 Show #1085
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Author “What Love Becomes”
Derrick Horton and the Jay Street Band – Performing
Doc Horton, Vocals
Additional Band Members TBA
miSci – Museum of Innovation and Science – Wolf to Woof Exhibition
St. Anthony’s Street Festival (June Date ???)
Additional Guests TBA
Schenectady County Human Rights Awards (Event May 23)
Ang Morris, Executive Director
May 28, 2019 – Repeat
Repeat of our on-location Show at Empire State Aerosciences Museum (Glenville)
June 4, 2019 Show #1086
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Black Theater Troupe of Upstate NY — (Event Jun 7 – 16)
“The Most Spectacularly Lamentable Trial of Miz Martha Washington” Capital Region Premiere
Patrick White, Director
Additional Guests to be announced
Circles of Mercy – Gala (Event June 12)
Duck Derby (Event June 15)
Angelo Santabarbara, Assemblyman 111th Assembly District
Juneteenth Celebration (Event June 14-15)
Additional guests to be announced
Schenectady Soroptimist Garden Tour (Event June 15)
Additional Guests to be announced
YOUniquely YOU! Putting Women First – The Power of the Possible (Retreat Event Jun 28-30)
Sharon Burstein, Presenter
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @SchenectadyTodayShow
- Facebook 1000th Show @SchdyToday1000
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
“Schenectady Today – In and Around the Capital Region” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 21st year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.