Schenectady / Capital Region Today
Now in our 21st Year! – Heading into our 22nd Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
September 3, 2019 – Show #1100
Schenectady Schools – Athletic Hall of Fame
Robert Pezzano, Chairperson; Willie Deane, 2019 SCSD-HOF Inductee; Mike Petrolle, Nephew of Billy Petrolle, 2019 SCSD HOF Inductee; Don Blaha, member of undefeated 1959 Mt. Pleasant HS Track & Field & HOF Inductee
Willie Deane, Gale Knull & Billy Petrolle will be inducted into the Schenectady City School District Athletic Hall of Fame. A legacy tribute will honor the 1959 Mont Pleasant HS track & field team. A crowd of 350 to 400 people is expected. Attendees will come from all over the country. Tribute videos will be shown.
- Organization: Schenectady City School District Athletic Hall of Fame
- Mission: “To honor those individuals who have made significant contributions to the history & tradition of sports in the Schenectady City School District”
- Event: Schenectady City School District Athletic Hall of Fame & Reunion Dinner
- Location of event: Glen Sanders Mansion
- Date/Time: Monday, Sept 16 –Reception begins at 4:30 pm; dinner will be served at 6:00 pm; ceremonies to follow
- Cost: $55
- Contact Information: 518-346-9297
- Website: www.Schenectady.k12.ny.us
Albany Civic Theater’s The Heiress
Evan Jones, Director; Ron Weber “Dr. Austin Sloper” and Susan Dantz “Lavinia Penniman”
Set in the 1850’s,young Catherine Sloper lives with her father, Dr. Austin Sloper. Catherine is shy, unsophisticated and plain-looking. Her father blames her for her mother’s death as she died giving birth to Catherine. The play is about Catherine’s quest to find romance, the hindrances she discovers and the things she discovers about herself.
- Organization: Albany Civic Theater
- Mission: To provide education and training in acting, directing, writing, speech, staging and all other aspects of the dramatic arts. We aim to encourage and foster community interest and participation in the dramatic arts through non-profit sponsorship of plays, lectures, publications, workshops, study groups, drama libraries and related activities.
- Event: The Heiress by Ruth & Agustus Goetz
- Location of event: Albany Civic Theater in Albany (Second Ave)
- Date/Time: Sept 6-22, 2019 // Fri and Sat at 7:30 pm and Sunday at 3 pm
- Cost: $18 adults and $10 students with ID
- Contact Information: Box Office 518-462-1297
- Facebook: Yes “Albany Civic Theater”
- Twitter: @AlbanyCivic
- Website: www.AlbanyCivicTheater.org
Fashion Show by Sunnyview Auxiliary
Michael O’Hara, Executive Director Sunnyview Hospital Foundation;
Loretta Moore, President; Judy Nocera, Board Member
Fashions by Chico’s of Stuyvesant Plaza, Albany followed by a luncheon, benefit raffle and silent auction.
- Organization: Sunnyview Hospital Auxiliary
- Mission: The mission of the Auxiliary is to assist the hospital with special projects and purchases and to help patients pay for critical services through the Patient Needs Scholarship Fund.
- Event: A Sunny View of Fashion
- Location of event: Event Center at the Rivers Casino
- Date/Time: Monday, Sept 16 from 10 am to 2 pm
- Cost: $40 pp
- Website: none provided
Animal Protective Foundations “Bark & Brew”
Nancy Benz, Sr. Dir of Development & Alyssa Nealon, Development Assoc.
Now in its 4th year, Bark ‘n Brew is an afternoon of barks, brews, and barbeque to support the animals at APF. Tickets include 2 beers or soft drinks, a barbeque buffet, and 10 raffle tickets. Rain or shine, friendly dogs are welcome on the patio or in the tent only.
- Organization: Animal Protective Foundation
- Mission: The Animal Protective Foundation promotes and protects the human-animal bond by providing resources to our community and humane care to companion animals.
We have been providing services to Schenectady County and the Greater Capital Region since 1931. Our open admission policy which ensures that animals are not turned away based on breed, age, condition, or circumstance.
- Event: Bark ‘n Brew
- Location of event: Wolf Hollow Brewing Company in West Glenville
- Date/Time: Sunday, Sept 15 from 2-5 pm
- Cost: $60
- Contact Info: 518-374-3944 X 113
- Facebook: Yes “Animal Protective Foundation”
- Instagram: @animalprotectivefoundation
- Website: www.AnimalProtective.org
Sweet Sixteenth – Pancreatic Research Walk
Shari and Neil Piper, Walk Coordinators
Our 1.2-mile handicap accessible, stroller friendly, pet friendly walk will honor the memory of those lost, by celebrating their lives and by fund-raising for a future that includes early detection and cure for Pancreatic Cancer. This family event will include a pick-a-prize auction; a 50/50 raffle; a pet parade, free donuts, coffee, tea, apple cider and water; a PC information area; face painting; purple hair extensions, chair massages, and live music by Code Blue Albany.
THE LUSTGARTEN FOUNDATION is the largest private funder of pancreatic cancer research in the world and has directed $186 million to research since inception. The Foundation funds scientific and clinical research related to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of pancreatic cancer; provides research information and clinical support services to patients, caregivers, and individuals at high risk; and increases public awareness and hope for those dealing with this disease.
- Organization: Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Mission: Promote the local Lustgarten Foundation 16th Annual Albany Capital District Walk for Pancreatic Cancer Research and provide information about pancreatic cancer and research progress toward early detection and treatment.
- Event: Lustgarten Foundation 16th Annual Albany Capital District Walk for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Location of event: Elm Avenue Town Park, Delmar NY
- Date/Time: Sunday, September 15, 2019 – Registration at 8 am
- Cost: $50
- Facebook: Yes “Albany Capital District Walk for Cancer Research”
- Instagram: @albanypcrwalk
- Twitter: @Albanypcrwalk
- Website: www.LustgartenWalkAlbany.org
A Gala for the American Italian Heritage Museum
Prof./Cav. Philip DiNovo, PhD, Director
There are ten name awardees. The event is to celebrate the 40th birthday of the Association, the 10th birthday of the museum in Albany, NY and the 5th birthday of the Italian Cultural Center on the second floor of the museum. The proceeds from the event are used to carry out our mission and to operate our museum and cultural center.
- Organization: American Italian Heritage Association and Museum
- Mission: The Association mission is to record and preserve our Italian heritage. The purpose of the museum is to honor the Italian immigrants, tell their story and the contributions of Italian Americans.
- Event: Elegant Gala Dinner to celebrate the milestones
- Location of event: Empire State Plaza Convention Center
- Date/Time: Sunday, Oct. 27 – Cocktails begin at 4 pm followed by dinner & program
- Cost: $125
- Contact Information: 518-435-1979
- Facebook: Yes
- Website: www.AmericanItalianMuseum.org
September 10, 2019 Show #1101
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Beekman Boys – Sharon Springs 10th Annual Harvest Festival (Event Sept 14-15)
Alan Edstrom, Events Manager
Empire State Aerosciences Museum
Kevin Millington, Board Member
Habitat for Humanity – Build a Bash (Event 9/26)
Madelyn Thorne, Executive Director
Jan’s Wanderings – Topic TBA
Schenectady Light Opera “The Addams Family (Sept 20-29)
James Alexander, Director
Story Circle at Proctors – Fall Season
Kate Dudding, Storyteller
September 17, 2019 Show #1102
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Ja Ja’s Kids — Uganda
National Ballroom Dance Week Event at Colonie center (Event Sept 25)
On Air Guests?
Out of Darkness Walk – American Foundation of Suicide Prevention (Event Sept 28)
Schenectady County Historical Society’s Farm to Fork – (Event Oct 5)
Mary Zawacki, Executive Director
Stockade Walk-About – (Event Sept 28)
Capital District Women’s Employment & Resource Center (WERC) – (Event Oct 1)
Elizabeth Miller-Guthier, Executive Director
September 24, 2019 Show #1102
(Topics listed alphabetically – subject to change)
Angel Names Association
Lisa Rose, Vice President
Michelle Mosca President
Amy Reinink, Board Member
Author “The Woman Behind the Mask”
Cornell Cooperative Extension – Schenectady County – Topic TBA
Lester Rosenzweig, MS, RD, CDN, Nutrition Educator
Intern – TBA (email address required)
miSci (Museum of Innovation & Science) – Topic/Event TBD
Schenectady Day Nursery – Fundraiser (Event Oct 24)
USISTD Albany Upstate Chapter – Dance Camp
(United States Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing)
Louise Giuliano, Chair
Sue Martin, Secretary & Director Camps and Competitions
Ruth Lieberman Treasurer
Sue Nelson, PR Director
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @Schenectady-Capital Region TodayShow
- Facebook 1000th Show @SchdyToday1000
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
“Schenectady Today – In and Around the Capital Region” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 22nd Year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.