Schenectady / Capital Region Today
Now in our 22nd Year!
Below you will find listings for our interesting on-air guests for the next four weeks. Check out the lists below for our great variety of topics. We start filming at 10 am in THE ADDY THEATRE on Tuesday. A live audience is always welcome and there are plenty of seats. You can meet the guests in person and learn more about their projects or even get involved yourself.
January 14, 2020 – Show #1117
Your Best One at theREP
Maggie Mancinelli Cahill, Artistic Director & Jake Goodman “Josh”
Family matters. Richard and David had it all: great jobs, a great Manhattan apartment and a great relationship. It seemed a natural thing to adopt a child to share their good fortune, right? Whoops! Rewind! Richard’s fear of commitment reared its head and out he walked. Now, eight years later, a crisis brings him back to be forgiven, to be useful, and to be family. He wants a do-over. But we all know that anything worth having isn’t easy to get – and is even harder to get back! As Richard and David deal with grown up things, Josh, David’s teenage adopted son, has to deal with newcomer Richard: Who is he? What does he really want? And what does it mean for Josh’s future? Meredith Friedman’s warm, funny and touching play gets to the heart of what family is all about and makes us realize that indeed, family matters.
- Organization: Capital Repertory Theatre
- Event: Your Best One – East Coast Premiere
- Location of event: theREP Albany
- Date/Time: Jan 17 to Feb 9 (Feb 1 @ 3 pm sign language)
- Website: www.CapitalRep.org
9 to 5 the Musical at SLOC
Stephen Foust, Director & Joan Horgan “Violet”
Based on the 1980 hit movie, 9 to 5, The Musical is a lively story of friendship and revenge. When three female coworkers hatch a plan to get even with their sexist, egotistical boss, hilarity ensues as they give their workplace the makeover they’ve always wanted!
- Organization: Schenectady Light Opera Company “SLOC”
- Mission: SLOC Musical Theater is a non-profit community-based performing arts center. Our mission is to provide opportunities for adults and youth to experience and participate in the performing arts.
- Event: 9 to 5, The Musical
- Location of event: 427 Franklin St. Sch’dy NY
- Date/Time: January 17-19 & 23-26, 2020 — Thurs-Sat 8pm, Sun 2pm & added matinee Sat 1/25 (2pm)
- Cost: $23-28
- Contact Information: 518.730.7370
- Facebook: Yes — Schenectady Light Opera Company
- Twitter: @sloctheater
- Instagram: @sloctheater
- Website: www. sloctheater.org
Frost/ Nixon at Sch’dy Civic Players
Evan Jones, Director & Steven Leifer “Richard Nixon”
British talk-show host David Frost has become a lowbrow laughingstock. Richard M. Nixon has just resigned the United States presidency in total disgrace over Vietnam and the Watergate scandal. Determined to resurrect his career, Frost risks everything on a series of in-depth interviews in order to extract an apology from Nixon. The cagey Nixon, however, is equally bent on redeeming himself in his nation’s eyes. In the television age, image is king, and both men are desperate to out-talk and upstage each other as the cameras roll. The result is the interview that sealed a president’s legacy.
- Organization: Schenectady Civic Players
- Mission: To foster, promote and nurture the natural talents of those citizens interested in play production, stagecraft and arts management; to stimulate appreciation and participation in supporting high quality theatrical productions for the people of the capital region.
- Event: Frost / Nixon
- Location of event: Playhouse Schenectady Civic Players, 12 S. Church St., Schenectady
- Date/Time: .Jan 24, 25, 26 & 29 thru Feb 2. Fri & Sat at 8 pm, Wed & Thur at 7:30 pm, Sun at 2:30 pm.
- Cost: $20
- Contact Information: 518-382-2081
- Facebook: “Schenectady Civic Players’
- Website: www.CivicPlayers.org
Murder on Skis – Winter Reading!
Phil Bayly, Author
Phil Bayly is a journalist who has worked in television in the Capital Region of New York for over thirty years. For the final fifteen years, he anchored the number one morning news program for NBC affiliate WNYT-TV in Albany. He currently resides in Saratoga County, New York.
During more than 40 years as a journalist, most of it in television, Phil has reported from ground zero in New York City on 9/11. He’s covered forest fires, house fires, floods, plane crashes, car crashes and crime. He’s met and covered seven US presidents and reported from presidential conventions and presidential primaries. He’s also delighted in covering some World Cup ski racing.
Ask for MURDER on SKIS at your independent bookstore, like Northshire Bookstores, or go to: www.Northshire.com or Indiebound.org (Ingram Book Company) or www.Amazon.com or www.Barnesandnobel.com
- Event: Book Release Murder on Skis
- Cost: Check website
- Contact Information: email@example.com
- Website: www. Murderonskis.com
Martin Luther King Jr Celebration
Ang Morris, Executive Director
The Coalition organizes the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. birthday celebration, the Charles Brown Art and Essay Competition and the Ralph F. Boyd, Sr. Awards to foster justice and nonviolence.
- Organization: Schenectady County Human Rights Commission
- Event: MLK Anniversary Celebration (34th Anniversary)
- Location of event: SUNY Sch’dy – Carl B Taylor Auditorium in Begley Hall at 2:30 pm
- Date/Time: Jan 19 at 2:30 pm
- Cost: Free event
- Website: www.SchenectadyCounty.com
Sch’dy Soup Stroll
Amy Sonder, Promotions Coordinator
Come out Saturday, January 25 for the 5th Annual Downtown Schenectady Soup Stroll! Sample soups from various downtown area restaurants for only $1 for a 3oz serving! Print out a map or pick one up at any of the participating and stroll around downtown enjoying delicious soup samples! Don’t forget to fill out the ballot to cast your vote on which soup was your favorite!
- Organization: Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corp
- Event: Downtown Schenectady Soup Stroll
- Location of event: Downtown Sch’dy
- Date/Time: Saturday – Jan 25 from 11 am to 4 pm
- Cost: $1 per 3 ounce sample
- Contact Information: info@downtownSchenectady.org
- Facebook: “Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corp”
- Twitter: @DSICschenectady
- Instagram: @downtown_Schenectady
- Website: www.DowntownSchenectady.org
January 21, 2020
Repeat of Jan 14 show
January 28, 2020
Repeat of Oct 3, 2017 – Panel discussion on Capital Region Economy
February 4, 2020 Show #1118
Albany Civic Theater’s American Soldier (Jan 31 to Feb 16)
Dennis Schebatta, Director
(Contact Person: Juliet King; Kathryn Weinberg)
Holocaust Essay Contest (Deadline April 19)
Ron Suriano, Owner
Musicians of Ma’alwyck – Schaltjahr Ball (Leap Year Ball on Feb 29)
Anne Marie Schwartz
Wealth Education Exchange!
Angela Tatem, Co-Founder
www.SchenectadyToday.com and Follow us on
- Twitter (SchdyTodayShow)
- Instagram (SchdyToday)
- Facebook @Schenectady-Capital Region Today Show
- Facebook 1000th Show @SchdyToday1000
- YouTube “Schenectady Today Show Official”
- Show is available on demand on YouTube and on www.openstqgemedia.org as well as on Fios
“Schenectady Today –Capital Region Today” An All-Volunteer Production
Producing and Hosting continuously since 9/16/98 – Now in our 22nd year
Now Cablecast in the following Communities
FRIDAY at 6 pm on most of the outer Capital Region areas (more often in Albany and Sch’dy stations): Albany, Amsterdam, Ballston, Ballston Spa, Berne, Bethlehem, Bolton, Broadalbin, Brunswick, Caroga, Cambridge, Charlton, Chester, Clifton Park, Cohoes, Colonie, Crown Point, Delmar, East Greenbush, Easton, Florida, Fort Ann, Galway, Glen, Glenville, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Green Island, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hague, Halfmoon, Horicon, Jackson, Johnstown, Knox, Lake George, Malta, Mayfield, Mechanicville, Menands, Milton, Mohawk, New Scotland, Niskayuna, Northumberland, Perth, Poestenkill, Port Henry, Providence, Putnam, Root, Rotterdam, Saratoga, Salem, Saratoga Springs, Schaghticoke, Schenectady, Schroon, Schuylerville, Scotia, Stillwater, Ticonderoga, Troy, Waterford, Watervliet, Whitehall, Wilton and Wright all on channel 1301.