Schenectady Today — In and Around the Capital Region
Photographs by Malcolm Kogut
Community Theater Memories of Chris McCann
Guests: Debbie Botch, Curator, Edd Clifford, Performing and Jim Burton, Performing
Debbie Botch will share memories of Chris McCann Schenectady Area Community Theatre and other artistic creations based on material from the Memoirs and Archive left as legacy.
Ms. Botch also discusses a book on Jigsaw Puzzle art with photos of 1930s puzzles with artist paintings that Chris wrote. It is a coffee table art book and is still available. Title: Master Pieces: the Art of Jigsaw Puzzles. Also, one song that Chris wrote will be performed Jim Burton (keyboard) as part of segment.
Edd Clifford is a performer known as “The Human Jukebox”.
Jim Burton is a musician with Jazz 4U Quartet.
Tribute: Chris McCann Memories, Community Theatre, Playwright, Songwriter and Author.
Guests: Deborah Dorman, Director, Claudia DeMartino “Nellie Forbush”, Matthew Perret “Emile DeBecque” and Jerred Hickey “Billis”
Enchanting, passionate, relevant musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein. It is about soldiers, nurses and islanders during World War II, a beautiful, passionate story from another era.
The themes, which were daring for their time, of racism and class distinctions, are as relevant today as in any time in history. But the best part is that the show will not bring you down in fact, you’ll no doubt leave the theater humming about your Enchanted Evening or how you are going to Wash That Man Right Out of Your Hair. The music is timeless and familiar, and the humor mixes seamlessly with personal struggles and tests of conscience against a backdrop of exotic, sensual and mysterious islands.
So come to our island and be transported to another time and place, which is in so many ways exactly where we are!
Circle Theatre Players mission: To enrich community life through discovering, appreciating and creating excellence in theatre, performing arts and the visual arts.
Organization: Circle Theatre Players at Sand Lake Center for the Arts
Event: South Pacific
Location of event: Sand Lake Center for the Arts in Averill Park
Date/Time: May 13-22 (May 13, 14, 19, 20 and 21 at 8 pm and May 15 & 22 at 2:30 pm)
Cost: $20 (adults) and $10 (ages 10 and under)
Paint the Town Purple!
Guest Darcy Czajka, Senior Director, Community Engagement, American Cancer Society
Paint The Town Purple Schenectady is a week in which we are asking businesses, organizations and members of the community to decorate in purple to raise awareness and funds for the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life.
During the week we have two important events:
- Signing of the 80 by 2018 pledge media event. Several Schenectady employers have agreed to sign the 80 by 2018 colorectal cancer screening pledge. This is a commitment to ensure more members of our community are screened—a healthier Schenectady!
- The Happy Hour of Hope, an event created by DSIC, Schenectady County Special events and the Mallozzi Family, will be held on May 20 from 4:30pm – 7:30pm. This week and this specific event will help us to celebrate Schenectady’s cancer survivors and caregivers, remember those we have lost to cancer, and raise funds to ensure a healthier, happier future with less cancer. Happy Hour of Hope is free but will have food and other items for purchase.
The American Cancer Society is the nationwide, community-based, voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy, and service
Organization: American Cancer Society
Event: Paint the Town Purple Event
Location of event: Varies by business
Date/Time: May 16-22 — Happy Hour of Hope from 4:30 to 7:30 pm
Contact Information: American Cancer Society Hope Club at 1 Penny Lane in Latham, 12110. Phone 220-6962 or 1-800-227-2345 FREE
Facebook: Yes “PaintSchenectadyPurple”
Mel Brooks’ – The Producers!
Guests: Suzanne Rayome, Director, Jenny Depew, Co-Producer and Eric Shovah “Max Bialystock”
Fourth and final show of SLOC’s 2015-16 season!
A cast of 29, along with at least that many working behind the scenes, have brought Broadway to Schenectady with this hilarious romp.
Producers Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom learn they can make more money with a flop than a hit. So they set out to do just that, when insanity ensues. Not to be missed.
Spoiler: Passionate old Ladies, Dancers, a Nazi, an Accountant, a Producer, New York, Broadway and a Cross Dresser….. it is all here!
Organization: Schenectady Light Opera Company
Event: The Producers
Location of event: SLOC Theater on Franklin St. Sch’dy
Date/Time: May 6-8, 12-15, 2016 — Times 8:00 pm/2:00 pm on Sundays
Cost: $20 – $28
Facebook: Yes “Schenectady Light Opera Company”
Woodlawn Park Garage Sale!
Guests: Spero Zoulas, Chair Woodlawn Park Redevelopment Committee and Cathi Rapisarda, Committee Member
The Woodlawn Park Redevelopment Committee is a group of local neighborhood volunteers dedicated to one goal…The Redevelopment and Revitalization of Woodlawn Park. To achieve this goal, we are committed to the following objectives:
· ~ Fundraising initiatives
· ~ Holding annual/periodic park cleanup & build days
· ~ Engaging the community in monthly meetings
· ~ Building partnerships with community organizations
· ~ Securing grants and funding streams for park
· ~ Collaboration on park planning and redesign efforts
· ~ Integration of new and improved park elements
· ~ Maintaining and enhancing park appearance
· ~ Solicitation of community volunteers
· ~ Increasing park awareness and community pride They will also discuss:
· Garage Sale Event – encompasses Donation Drop Off Days and Sale Days
· Last Fall’s Community Playground Build Day – $60,000 investment into park
· Upcoming Redevelopment Project: Basketball court repaving, exercise stations, new fencing and wheelchair accessible ramps – $35,000 investment
· April 30th Spring Cleanup: 9 am – 2 pm
· Promotion of 2017 Calendar Fundraiser
Organization: Woodlawn Park Redevelopment Committee
Event: Donation Drop-Off Days & Fifth Annual Garage Sale
Location of event: Woodlawn Park for both events Date/Time: Drop Off Days: Friday (5:30 – 7:30 pm) & Saturday (10am-2pm) and Garage Sale Days (Saturday and Sunday, May 14 & 15 (9am to 5pm)
Facebook: Yes “WoodlawnParkSNY”